Best Recipes That Whip Up Extremely Delectable Jamaican Food
- Saltfish – ½ lb
- Ackees – 12
- Onion -1
- Black pepper – 1 teaspoon
- Scotch bonnet pepper – 3 slices
- Red pepper – 1
- Thyme – 1 or 2 sprigs
- Garlic powder – 2 teaspoons
- Cooking oil
- First of all soak the saltfish in water or boil it for about five minutes in order to get rid of the excess salt.
- Clean the ackee by removing all the seeds and the traces of interior red pit from the ackee.
- Having seeded them, wash them thoroughly and boil in them in water until they become moderately soft.
- Remove all the bones from the saltfish.
- Now, sauté the finely sliced onions and sweet pepper rings.
- Add the saltfish, ackees, garlic powder, and thyme sprigs and sauté the mixture for a while.
- Add the black pepper and toss the ingredients in the pan for a while.
- Now, take out the contents of the pan onto the serving dish and garnish with some more onion and peppers.
- To give an authentic touch to this recipe, serve it with green banana or fried dumplings.
Rice and Peas
- Red kidney beans – 2 cups
- Fresh coconut milk – 2 cups
- Rice – 2 cups
- Onion -1
- Garlic – 1 clove
- Thyme – 1 Sprig
- Cooking oil – 1 tablespoon
- Scotch bonnet pepper -1
- Mix the coconut milk with water and also drain the liquid from the beans and add it to the mixture so that it adds up to four cups.
- Pour the liquid in a pot and add beans, onion, garlic, thyme, and oil and bring the mixture to a boil.
- Now, add the rice and stir for a minute.
- Place scotch bonnet pepper in the pot and cover tightly for around half an hour until the rice is well-cooked.
- Remove scotch bonnet pepper before serving.
Renta Pineapple Drink
- Renta yam – 1 lb
- Chopped pineapple – 1 cup
- Fresh orange juice – 1 cup
- Lemons – 2
- Granulated sugar – ½ lb
- Ginger – 2 oz
- Water – 2 cups
- Peel the renta yam and boil it until it becomes soft and tender.
- Allow the yam to cool down and put it in the blender to puree it.
- Squeeze fresh lemon juice in the yam puree.
- Now, add the chopped pineapple, ginger, and water and blend the ingredients well.
- Add the orange juice and sugar to make the drink sufficiently sweet.
- Serve chilled over ice