Dig in! Recipes for Hot, Tangy, and Tempting Lemongrass Chicken
Hot and Tangy Chicken Recipe
- 8, chicken thighs (skinless)
- 1 tablespoon, garlic (minced)
- 1 teaspoon, salt
- 2 tablespoons, ginger (grated)
- 2 sticks, lemongrass (chop the white part, finely)
- 2, spring onions (the green and white part, finely chopped)
- 1 tablespoon, palm sugar
- 3, chillies (chopped)
- 2 tablespoons, vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon, cilantro (chopped)
- 3-4, salad leaves (washed and pat-dried)
- 1, lime (cut into wedges)
Wash the chicken thighs thoroughly, in running water. On a chopping board, place each piece and puncture the surface of the flesh randomly, with a fork or toothpick. This will help the marinade to seep into the flesh. Now, take a large-sized bowl and add the 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil to it.
Add the garlic, ginger, lemongrass, spring onions, chilies, salt, and sugar, to it. Mix all the ingredients, thoroughly. Add the chicken to this mixture, making sure each piece is well-coated. Leave the entire mixture to marinate for 15-30 minutes.
Preheat the barbecue grill on high heat. Place the chicken on the grill. Turn each piece occasionally, allowing each side to cook for 5-6 minutes. Continue doing so, till it is fully roasted. Place the crisp salad leaves on a plate and put the roasted pieces on them. Garnish with the chopped cilantro and lime wedges. Serve hot.
Ga Xao Sa (Vietnamese Lemongrass Chicken)
Ga Xao Sa is a very refreshing, bright, and wonderfully light, Southeast Asian recipe. This Vietnamese dish is often found on the menu of many Vietnamese restaurants.
- 1 pound, chicken breast (skinless and cubed)
- 2 teaspoons, cornstarch
- 3-4 stalks, lemongrass (white part minced)
- 1 teaspoon each, sugar and pepper
- 2 tablespoons, fish sauce
- 2 tablespoons, shallots (minced)
- 4 tablespoons, vegetable oil (peanut or sesame)
- 2 cloves, garlic (minced)
- 1, red bell pepper (chopped)
- ¼ cup, water
- 1 tablespoon, caramelized sugar syrup
Take a large mixing bowl, add the cornstarch, lemongrass, sugar, pepper, fish sauce, 1 tablespoon of the vegetable oil, and the cubed chicken. Mix well till the pieces are well-coated. Set it aside for 3-4 hours. When you are ready to cook, take a separate vessel and pour the remaining 3 tablespoons of oil in it. Heat the vessel, then add the shallots and garlic to it. Fry till they are light brown in color.
Next, add the chopped bell pepper to the pan. Stir-fry it until it begins to wilt. This takes about 3-4 minutes. Then, add the marinated mixture to the pan and continue to fry it till the chicken is thoroughly cooked. Once the whole mixture is fried, immediately reduce the heat to low or medium. Pour the water, fish sauce, and sugar syrup, into it. Leave it to simmer for 10 minutes. Let it cook till it attains the desired consistency. Lastly, add steamed rice to this delicious dish and serve hot.